- English Language and Literature GCSE, iGCSE – British Syllabus
- English Language and Literature Pre-GCSE (UK Years 7-9) British Syllabus
- 11plus, 13plus, Independent School Entrance – British Syllabus. My main focus is English, Verbal Reasoning, Non-Verbal Reasoning. (Mathematics is covered but I’m not the right tutor for a child who needs significant coaching in maths.)
- English SATS (SPaG) – UK Year 6 – Spelling, Punctuation, Grammar, Reading Comprehension, Writing genres
- General Literacy Catch-up – Y5 upwards
- Dyslexia support – Y5 upwards
- Reading (Booster or from scratch) Y5 upwards
- Enrichment – reading literature for fun. Y5 to adult
- English as an Additional Language – conversation Y7 to adult (online only; half-hour sessions available)
- ?? Contact me if you have another literacy or English-related need.
- In-person School days between 3.30 and 8.30 pm; Saturdays between 9 am and 6.30 pm. School holidays between 9 am and 8.30 pm.
- Online lessons – the same as in-person, plus from 7-9 am UK time.
- How long do lessons last? 1 hour minimum; longer as required for GCSE and older students.
- How often? Weekly, apart from illness or scheduled absence. Less frequent lessons are ineffective, as we lose the learning benefit of repetition and revisiting.
- Face-to-face lessons are at my home in Harbury, Warwickshire. Parents are welcome to wait for their child if they’d rather not drive home and back.
- The ‘where’ question doesn’t apply to online tuition – that’s the beauty of it!
Face-to-Face or Online?
- My lessons are not much different, whether conducted in person at my home, or online via Skype or Zoom. I use the same range of materials, and adopt my usual interactive, student-focused, responsive, high-expectation teaching style.
- Online students are not limited to the tutors available in their area, and can learn with the best tutor for them.
- Mixed in-person and online? Absolutely possible, and a good solution for students who live some distance away but would benefit from some face-to-face contact.
- From UK Year 5 upwards.
- Anyone following a British syllabus, whether or not they live in the UK.